Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Only??

So many times last weekend I heard the word "only".  "I was only down .4", "I only worked out twice", "I only planned meals for 1/2 the week".  Instead, I should have heard "Yay!  I was down .4!", "I am glad I worked out twice - it's better than nothing" and "I know I can plan for 1/2 the week, let's try adding a few more days".  Turning the negative "only" into something positive is so much more motivating.  

I have been working really hard to remove that 4-letter word from my vocabulary. I told hubby last night that I was declaring it a bad word from now on.  It's a hard word to avoid, that's for sure.  But if you want to be more optimistic and less pessimistic you have to think differently. 

This month, I have decided to try really hard to be more positive in ALL aspects of my life.  Take for instance work - work has been super stressful trying to learn a new system.  I know in the long run, it will be better so I am trying to focus on that rather than how hard it is to get used to it.  I really want a new puppy.  We can't really afford it right now, which is really disappointing.  So, rather than be disappointed,  I am thinking it will happen when the time is right.  It's been so hard to get all my steps in but I am grateful that I can even walk the number of steps that I do because a year ago, I couldn't manage 1/2 of what I am doing now. 

I am also avoiding negative press (i.e. politics), social media and conversations that are filled with complaints and disparaging comments.   It's hard to turn away from toxic people, especially when you care about them.  I know I very can very easily get caught up in the moment and spew negativity as well.  What good does that do?  It doesn't make you feel good/better.  By walking away or by trying to change the tone of the conversation, I can save myself from bad feelings.

Now, if only (ha!) I could change the world...

No comments:

Post a Comment